On Thursday, March 2, 2017, the YMCA held their 30th Annual Women of Distinction Awards Gala, held in the UCT pavilion in Brandon’s Keystone Centre. These awards are meant not only to highlight the great accomplishments of these women in Westman, but to honor the achievements of all women. Sioux Valley Dakota Nation’s own Councillor Jennifer Bone was the recipient for the Social Action and Community Service award. There are 8 categories one could be nominated for: Leadership in Business, Arts and Culture, Agriculture, Social Action and Community Service, Excellence in Education, Healthy living and Recreation, Youth/Young Woman (16-29 years) and the Lifetime Achievement award. Councillor Bone was a perfect fit for the Social Action and Community Service award.
Councillor Bone has achieved many great accomplishments throughout her life including the following highlights:
- She is currently serving her 4th term as an elected Councillor
- Chairperson of the SVDN Economic Development Board
- Board member of the Dakota Ojibway Community Futures Development Corporation
- Event coordinator for SVDN’s annual Dakota Nation Winterfest
- Coordinating and assisting in a Sioux Valley Dakota Nation “Annual Walk Against Violence” in support of Murdered and Missing Indigenous Woman.
- Volunteering and organizing the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation annual Wacipi (Pow-Wow)
- Volunteer and organizing the 1st annual Sioux Valley Dakota Nation “Empowering Our Future” Youth Conference in July 2016.
- Volunteer and organizing the “Toys for Tots” program carried on by her late father Robert Bone since 2008.
- Volunteer and organizing the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation Annual Community Christmas dinner since 2011.
Jennifer Bone is a proud single parent of three sons, Colby, Jackson and Jeremiah and grand-daughter Jenessa. She is an elected Council member of Sioux Valley Dakota Nation Chief and Council since 2010. Jennifer enjoys attending sports events such as hockey with her sons. Jennifer is an active member of the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation community by planning and participating in community and cultural events.
Congratulations Jennifer Bone, 2017 Women of Distinction Social Action and Community Service award recipient.
Other Award recipients:
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Doris Riseley
- Excellence in Education Award – Linda Ross
- Healthy Living, Wellness and Recreation Award – Verna Wilson
- Leadership in Business Award – Ferran Leblanc
- Arts and Culture Award – Chris Cooper and Leanne Petrin
- Agriculture Award – Donna Jackson
- Young Woman (16-21) Award – Rylee Lanouiette
- Young Woman (22-29) Award – Surien Fourie