Sioux Valley Dakota Nation Volunteer Fire Department is inviting all interested applicants to attend our meeting on Tuesday, March 28 @ 1 PM at the fire hall.
The volunteer firefighter is responsible for firefighting, rescue, medical assistance services and other related fire and life safety services. The firefighter is responsible for rapidly, efficiently and safely performing various duties under emergency conditions frequently involving considerable hazard. The work includes routine duties in the maintenance of firefighting vehicles, equipment and fire department facilities as assigned.
Core Accountabilities: Volunteer Firefighters provide primary response to emergence calls and /or relief for primary responders at long term incidents within our community. Respond to emergency calls as directed. Perform a variety of rescue related duties to protect the public and lessen severity of injuries. Drive and/or operate any vehicle or piece of equipment as assigned.
Maintain an adequate level of physical fitness to continuously perform all required duties including, but not limited to, excellent cardiovascular fitness and capacity to bend, lift, and carry as required. Regularly attend scheduled training sessions. Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to lifelong learning in the areas of fire suppression, incident response and personal development. Endeavour to build a positive team atmosphere and foster positive relationships with internal and external customers. Aid in the maintenance of firefighting and medical equipment, tools, and apparatus to ensure readiness for any emergency service response. Participate in Community related projects as directed!
18 years of age or older
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR Certificate (or willing to obtain one)
- Acceptable class 5 driving record ( please have a copy of your drivers abstract for our records)
- Must be able and willing to upgrade to a class 4 with air endorsement (eventually)
- Posses the physical agility and stamina sufficient to perform all functions of this position in extremely adverse conditions.
- Possess the ability to lift heavy equipment/loads as needed (maybe expected to carry equipment weighing 20 to 40 lbs up stairs while wearing protective gear weighing over 200 lbs.)
- Possess adequate vision, hearing, mobility and dexterity to perform routine and non-routine firefighting tasks.
- Maintain self-discipline and professionalism at all times
- Ability to react quickly and remain calm in stressful situations.
We Thank All Applicants for Their Interest
All current and former Firemen please bring in your Pagers/Radios whether they are working or not.