Sioux Valley Education Authority Information Notice
Wednesday, December 20, 2017
It will begin to get cold out soon and we are anticipating getting calls of concerns about weather closures and such. We would like to take this opportunity to inform parents of the following:
- Sioux Valley Education plans 7 possible closure days due to weather and road conditions.
- The time is made up in short lunch hours at Sioux Valley High School. Every other school takes 1 hour for lunch; Sioux Valley High School takes ½ hour for lunch all year long. The K-Grade 6 school site makes this time up during shortened lunch hours from November 6th to April 3th
- If the time is not used for emergency closures, we may close earlier in June as we did 6 years ago as no emergency closures were needed.
- For safety reasons, our closure policy is: -35 without wind-chill factor, -43 with wind-chill factor. This will be determined in the morning. You can find posts of closures on our Facebook page- Sioux Valley Education.
- If the closure is due to cold weather, wherever possible, Sioux Valley Education will utilize two school vans to do a provincial school run. They heat as a normal vehicle and are much safer than a school bus in extreme cold weather. If a closure is determined due to road conditions, no provincial runs will occur and our guidance counsellor will excuse their absence.
I hope this clarifies any questions or concerns about procedures and protocols. Your children’s safety is our main concern! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Watch the Facebook page for any potential closures on those very cold mornings. Staff safe and warm!
Director of Education/High School Principal